Wednesday, April 23, 2008

We All Have Jobs

I thought in light of the way that this blog started, we could all dip into our vast employment history and laugh about our first jobs. So, here's mine:

When I was 15, I had to get a job to save up money for car insurance. My first job was for an insurance agency. I don't know what it was called. Actually, I'm not sure I ever knew what it was called. My job was to put fliers on people windshields. I got paid $6 an hour to get dropped off in a busy parking lot with a stack of fliers!

OK, so picture in your head me at age 15. Since none of you knew me then, here's a quick rundown:

  • 5' 9"
  • 115 lbs.
  • Size 36 jeans (cut off at the bottom)
    • keep in mind I probably had a 28" waist
  • I probably had on a pair of ratty vans that you couldn't even see because my pants covered them
  • Canvas Boy Scout Belt
  • A Size L or XL
    • Hook Ups T-shirt (remember those with the Asian girls?)
    • Girl Skateboards T-shirt
    • NOFX T-shirt
    • Or really freakin' old plaid shirt
  • Some sort of bright colored beanie (regardless of temperature)
  • And finally, dirty little moustache
My daily routine consisted of getting dropped off in a parking lot, putting fliers on 4 or 5 cars, then getting run off, cussed out, and belittled. I'm pretty sure people thought I was breaking in to their cars.

That job only lasted about 2 weeks.

No comments: