Thursday, May 1, 2008

1 Vote for Obama

This is my second attempt at writing this post. My first attempt was incredibly long and probably boring. It also talked more about the problems with the other candidates than it did about why I am supporting Barack Obama. I'll try to keep it short(er) and sweet this time.

Most of my friends know that I'm pretty political and tend to lean to the left. By lean to the left, I mean they think that I believe in mandatory universal health care for pets and that aborted fetuses should be burned as a source of green energy. I'm totally against both, just in case anybody is keeping score.

However, the truth is that I am actually in favor of a lot of core Republican principles. The problem is that in my lifetime no Republican president has ever put any of these principles into action. For instance, smaller, cheaper, more efficient government. I'm all for it. There are few things more "American" than using ingenuity to figure out the cheapest, most efficient way to do or produce something. Although it is sometimes immoral & to our detriment (slavery, lead-tainted Chinese products), this type of ingenuity has driven our economy throughout it's history. However, no Republican president in my lifetime has ever made the government smaller. In fact, they have all made it larger. The worst offender being Reagan.

That being said, I have always voted Democrat and will continue that this year in November, no matter who the final candidate is. However, in my opinion, one of the candidates, Barack Obama, is a much stronger candidate.

First of all, he doesn't accept money from any corporations, lobbyists, or Political Action Committees. This may not seem like a big deal to some, but to me it is huge. I believe the biggest problem with our government right now is the influence that corporations and lobbyists have on our senators.

Obama is also a civil libertarian. If he wins the presidency, he will be the first true civil libertarian in our history to do so. This is incredibly important this year considering all of the basic constitutional rights that have been violated by the current administration.

Finally, I think Obama's campaign has transcended him. It's bigger than him. More people have donated money to Obama than any other candidate in US history, and he isn't even the nominee yet. His campaign has been funded by regular people making small donations, not corporations and rich people donating the legal limit.

I could go on for much, much longer, but that is who I am supporting. Now a funny picture.

1 comment:

Mike said...

I KNOW THAT GUY! the one to the right of the sucky-sign-girl. his name is isaac calvage and he's awesome.