Thursday, May 15, 2008

A Taste For A Zen Palette

So lately I've noticed the over usage of the word avatar. I see it in almost every blog I read and hear people talk about it. I never really payed much attention to how many uses of the word there are. So Avatar is a kid's show on Nickelodeon, a feature film in production by James Cameron, and something you create in Second Life that is a replica of yourself. I saw it in an IBM commercial, on The Office, and every time I log in to my Yahoo mail it wants me to "create my avatar". Don't you think this whole business has gone a little too far. I mean it's one thing if I'm creating Mii's of Hitler that I can parade around on my Wii, but another thing entirely when it starts to take over my real life. Not only that but the word Avatar is a hindu term for the "decent or incarnation of a supreme being." So now I'm just freaked out. If I combine the two usages that would mean that my Mii is more powerful and omnipotent than the real Me is. And if that's true then maybe I should delete that Hitler Mii right away before we take a terrible turn down memory lane. Thoughts?

2 comments:

CCBenForAmerica said...

I've noticed that every Avatar I've ever created, I slowly started to resemble. My most recent Tiger Woods character what an old man with gray hair, bad skin, and a beer belly. If you've seen me lately, I'm heading in that direction.

Aaron said...

Wii Hitler is crazy good at boxing.