Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Who's Watching Mexico?

So in between Emo Diary riots south of the border there seems to be another crisis gripping our NAFTA friends. According to the NY Times the newest scam is a "virtual kidnapping". Apparently parents will recieve a phone call around midday with a child screaming "help me mommy" and then a kidnapper gets on the phone and demands money immediately. The parents are so freaked out that they take the 4000 pesos out from under their mattress and head for the nearest town square to leave with a guy in a black hat named Esteban. Meanwhile their child is actually safe and sound at school. These scams get worse though. Many of the callers are part of gangs and make the calls from prison. "Excuse me officer, I'd like to make my 1 phone call please. Can I borrow a quarter?" Is it just me or does this sound like something out of a bad 80's movie? I could of sworn Ferris Bueller tried this trick.



Check out the article here.

1 comment:

CCBenForAmerica said...

perfect! every time i get a good idea, someone beats me to it. i need a colored mp3 player. i'm angry!