Thursday, June 19, 2008

I'm Not Cryin, I Just Got Tears Tattooed On My Face

Music sales have been on a steady decline since the invention of the interweb. It's no secret that major labels are scrambling to figure out ways to keep kids in record stores and off of bit torrent. Well for the first time in 3 years Lil' Wayne has managed to sell 1 million copies in 1 week. When I first read this I thought there must be a mistake. I remember Lil' Wheesie from his hot boys days being sort of the "out of focus guy" in the group. I mean anyone who starts out their career by adding Lil' to their name clearly doesn't have aspirations for BIG things. I know I personally gave up on the hip hop game when Biggie went down (R.I.P), but never did I think someone so terrible could not only come along as the "savior" of the music industry but also a revered hip hop artist. I mean this guy looks like Lil' John and Wayne Brady had a crack baby. At least that would explain his name. Now I haven't heard the record so I don't exactly know what all the hub bub is about but, a guy I work with listens to hip hop religiously (seriously he attends an all rap service on sundays) and he said it's one of the worst albums he's ever heard. It's also odd that I haven't seen one advertisement for "Carter III" record. I understand that a 27 year old white guy isn't exactly the target market for such a record but you would think if a million other people were into it I would have at least heard of it. Maybe it just shows that I'm really starting to get older. I'll be like my dad always saying "what are kids these days doing?" I'll slowly begin to lose touch with what's cool and hip and fade away into obscurity. But in all honesty, if Lil' Wayne is a sign of hip to come, then I'll gladly retire to my island in the sea and watch the world burn to the ground all around me.

3 comments:

Aaron said...

This is one of the funniest things I've ever read.

"I know I personally gave up on the hip hop game when Biggie went down (R.I.P)"

CCBenForAmerica said...

Aaron,

Remember that rap song we made up with Chris Carroll on tour. We should all be shot!

xo, tara said...

though reading comments posted solely by other writers of this blog is totes adorable guys..it kind of makes me want to puke a little...just thought i'd break that barrier for you: )

shadd--
that slow loss of touch with coolness hasn't already begun? jk jkpet